Ponder Station.

Ponder Station.
It's all about perception.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Five Stages of Grief Within Twenty Minutes

A few days ago a couple of my friends came over to watch a movie. After conquering our indecisiveness the anime film Porco Rosso was chosen. We settled in and let our imagination enter the world of Miyazaki while our eye balls were licked with his artistry. The film was coming to a wrap, the resolution of the plot was just around the corner (or so I thought and expected) but no, it ended without the ending that leaves you satisfied with a grin or watery eyes. I couldn't believe it, this wasn't like Miyazaki! How could this be?

My reaction was amusing and after minutes of hearing my rambling a friend commented that it had seemed I had gone through the five stages of grief. It stopped me short. I had actually had gone through these stages, all within twenty minutes!

1. Denial. I couldn't believe that it was the end of the story. I sat through the credits just to see if there was some implanted hint that could help conclude the story.

2. Anger. I believe I spoke to the screen venting with the final words being 'F*$k you!' What was the point of this?

3. Bargaining. Surely there was an explanation! I was willing to give up my time to scour the internet in order to find the answers to my questions.

4. Depression. I felt down that was all that I was going to get from the movie. Why had I bothered to watch it?

5. Acceptance. I accepted the end. That's how it was.

After my grief I discussed the film further and the end without having an end was perfect for the story. How could I have ever doubted Miyazaki? It was beautiful in every aspect, as always. I just thought it was interesting that the five stages of grief can be applied to such minor reactions.


No comments:

Post a Comment