Dim lights, a light hum of numerous sets of friendly banter, smiles, all of which had jazz oozing in between. When you listen to every instrument they are all filling out their own unique niche and when they are placed all together it formulates a harmonious groove filled with soul. I find that much of music today tries to chase that outcome. Jazz remains on it's pedestal and will forever be appreciated and loved.
I felt content at the bar, in my world of wondering thoughts, writing and be raptured by the music. I love that this occurs weekly. It's my weekly hit of this culture where artists come together, all with their own 'modern' projects, all wanting and feeling the need to get back to this form of music. Flying Lotus, I believe would be an example. He is forging a path forward with his music yet his heritage is jazz based. I'm sure there would be many more examples, as I believe jazz helps you appreciate music at a deeper level. I was raised with jazz and it has forever influenced me in the most positive of ways. It has structure yet so much freedom.
This shit gives you gratitude for soul. It just gives. Tonight was the perfect example. People from all walks of life were smiling, dancing and just being in the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment